Friday, March 6, 2009

Rule #406: Respect Man's Weekend

Andrew and some of his buddies from college get together for “Man’s Weekend” every March. It is one of major highlights of Andrew’s year. While I’m always sad to be without him for the weekend, I’ve come to have my own routine during “Man’s Weekend” that I look forward to each year. So while Andrew is off measuring the length of his beard and talking sports this is what I’ll be up to . . .

Friday Evening: I have dinner with some girl friends I haven’t seen in a while. We eat some kind of Italian dish, maybe even one without meat, and sip something refreshing like sparkling apple cider or white wine. After dinner we watch a movie. This year it will probably be Australia or Nights in Rodanthe or any other chick flick that I’ve missed in favor of Andrew’s choice of Will Farrell’s latest release or something based on a comic.

Saturday Morning: I’m up early. I’ve been thinking about this day for months. I’ve planned my route of shopping very carefully. There is a mix of my favorite clothing stores and places I like to shop for the house. I have specific items I want to look at in some stores, and in others I just wander around in what some might call an “aimless” way. I don’t feel any pressure to leave a store before I’ve seen everything inside. If I stay in one store longer than I thought it’s ok, there isn’t anyone reminding me of kick-offs, tip-offs, or tee-offs that I have to get home to.

Saturday Afternoon: I’ve had a fruit and cheese plate for lunch and now I’m ready to organize! Back home with my packages, I attack the bedroom closet. This is my one chance to get at Andrew’s T-shirt collection. Now that we’ve been married for four years I can safely toss a few shirts that I’ve never seen him wear. I know not to touch anything with Headhunters or TTU on it, but the accumulated camp t-shirts and random restaurant T’s are starting to thin out. If I feel crazy I might even get rid of a hooddie. I fold everything neatly on shelves or in drawers. There is a small temptation to take a picture, just so I can remember this moment in two weeks when everything is out of place again, but I squelch it in favor of living in the now.

Saturday Evening: I stay at home. Tonight is about ice cream, ill fitting PJ’s, fluffy socks, and my hair in a very messy pony tail. I paint my toe nails, listen to Celine without any mocking, and watch another romantic comedy. I fall asleep in the middle of the bed with a Christian novel clutched in my hand.

Sunday Morning: Church is over and I’m starting to feel a bit restless. I might even turn ESPN on just to feel normal. I look at my perfectly clean house and wonder what isn’t right. I start to check the clock regularly and the novel in my hand begins to loose its appeal. When I hear the garage door open I jump to my feet and realize that I’m more excited now than I have been all weekend!

10 comments:

Andrew said...

This is a pretty good post.

Touch my t-shirts/hoodies, and you'll find yourself missing a field hockey sweatshirt and black sweatpants that say "Moorestown" down the left pant leg in hot pink.

I am not to be trifled with.

Andrew said...

...and I don't watch golf.

The Nunley said...

you go Andrew. Show her who is boss! T-Shirts are vital!

The Nunley said...

Agreed though, good post. I often wonder what my wife does on Man's Weekend.

The Nunley said...

We need a blog!

JDL said...

Andrew,
I probably don't have to tell you this, but you should bring your Kentucky cup and shorts....just in case.

Red said...

Laura, well said. I was captured by your description of the weekend. I love how you brought it full circle in the end and made it all about Andrew.

Andrew, you should watch more tee-offs.

Kevin said...

Where does Evie fit into all this?

Jennifer Jones said...

This weekend sounds amazing, not at all like mine usually is, but I'm thinking of adopting your schedule.

I have the same question as Kevin, will this be altered with the new addition this year, or can she hold her own?

Laura said...

This year is different because of Evie. Thankfully, I've got my mother-n-law here to help me! We will just hang out here tonight and then try to go shopping tomorrow. The organizing is still happening even if I have to sacrifice my old sweatpants.