Monday, September 8, 2008

Rule #163: Appreciate Autumn

Here is a list of things that will make the Stacy’s and everyone else happy for the next three months:

1. The Food: Soups (back from summer banishment), Gingerbread, Candy Corn (you know you love the way the sugar makes your teeth hurt), all things apple, the stuffing part of a Thanksgiving feast, etc.

2. The Tube: Television is finally back with new episodes, which after last year’s lame half season of shows is even more exciting this year. Football is on almost every day, though for me that really just means I don’t have to spar with Andrew for computer time and I get more opportunities to curl up with a book.

3. The Weather: Those of us that live in the south have been listlessly moving through months of oppressive heat, sweat, and sun that threaten anyone’s appreciation of the outdoors. Now, as breezes pick up and the temperatures cool we can enjoy being outside once again (and I can quit cursing every time I walk out my front door).

4. The Scenery: Good thing we can be outside again because now we get the chance to enjoy some beautiful changes in the colors around us. Plus, we can feel and hear the crunch of leaves underfoot. There is something about that sound, combined with the more crisp, less humid air that makes me nostalgic and sentimental every year- I love it!


5. The Clothes: The truth is that I rock a turtleneck and jeans much better than a sundress and flip-flops, so fall is always welcome in my closet! But even if you don’t like the way a turtleneck makes you look, who can resist fleece pullovers and cords?

6. The Activities: It seems that summer has everyone going their separate ways, while fall brings us all back together with holidays, community festivals, and tailgate parties. There is a general anticipation of fellowship and entertainments that is missing the rest of the year.

So, here’s to you Fall!

7 comments:

JDL said...

Being with child, shouldn't you watch the language a bit more?

I'm just sayin.....kids learn from watching and listening. I think we all remember the "parents who do drugs have kids who do drugs" commercial.

Andrew said...

Great post, Laura.

Jenny said...

Hello Staceys! Aaron has been excited about the action on your blog so I thought I'd take a look. I hope that you're enjoying life in memphis...if only we could have been there at the same time! I miss it dearly and fall was always a favorite. We are excited for the baby on the way!

RD said...

"There is a general anticipation of fellowship and entertainments that is missing the rest of the year."

That was a real nice line. You seem like you know something about the English language.

The Nunley said...

Well written! I love fall as well. Andrew I bet you are loving that new tv now. By the way don't tell Justin but I completely agree about the car. But Justin I am still in the market for an s-10.

JDL said...

don't worry guys. at the rate its taking us to find something, we'll have saved up enough to pay cash for it. maybe even for house too.

Andrew said...

Adam, I won't tell Justin what you said about his buying a new car. Don't worry, he'll never find out.